From smoothing out wrinkles to stopping excessive sweat, Botox injections offer a number of benefits, and some of them might surprise you. If you aren’t already familiar with Botox, it’s a prescription medication that’s injected into dynamic wrinkles, such as frown lines, forehead furrows, smoker’s lines, and crow’s feet, significantly diminishing their appearance for up to six months. Want to learn more about how Botox works, the surprising benefits of Botox, and your first procedure? Then read on.
The Science behind Botox
Botox is a neurotoxin and works by attaching itself to nerve endings. Once this happens, the neurotransmitter responsible for triggering muscle contractions, called acetylcholine, can’t be released. To put it more simply, Botox injections temporarily relax the facial muscles that underlie and cause wrinkles. This is also why wrinkles caused by sun damage and gravity don’t respond to Botox treatments.
The Many Surprising Benefits of Botox
Botox isn’t just a temporary wrinkle relaxer – it’s also used to treat medical conditions. In fact, Botox was originally developed to treat muscle spasms, particularly overactive eye spasms. But then it was discovered that Botox could also treat dynamic wrinkles or wrinkles that contract due to the underlying muscles. Here are some other surprising benefits of Botox:
- Excess sweat. Botox is useful in treating excessive sweating. This disorder is usually treated with prescription antiperspirants, but Botox is safe and effective in treating more severe cases. It balances the problem and relieves the condition for several months at a time.
- Migraines. How Botox treats migraines is still unknown, but most medical experts believe the drug blocks the sensory nerves that project the pain messages to the brain, as well as relaxes the muscles, making them less sensitive to pain. Those who receive Botox injections for migraines report that their migraines decrease by at least 50 percent and are substantially less severe.
- Botox for men. Men with enlarged prostates can gain relief from Botox, and the relief can last up to a year after receiving injections. Injecting Botox directly into the prostate gland helps with conditions such as urinary tract infections and frequent urination. This is because Botox reduces the size of the gland, improving the flow of urine.
- Arthritis pain. Initial research shows that Botox can reduce pain associated with arthritis, and improves function for people with various types of arthritis. These benefits last anywhere from three to twelve months.
- Premature aging. When used early on in the aging process, Botox not only treats wrinkles but also prevents new wrinkles from forming. Botox is most effective on wrinkles that haven’t quite set in and reduces the onset of wrinkles before they become moderate or severe. By combining a Botox regimen with good skin care, sunscreen, and a healthy lifestyle, you can prevent most wrinkles from getting worse and prevent new ones from forming.
Your First Procedure
You’ll have to take certain precautions before undergoing a Botox treatment. Ten days before receiving Botox injections, you’ll be asked to refrain from taking products that contain aspirin, ibuprofen, and vitamin E – doing so will significantly reduce the chance of bruising following treatment.
But don’t let these precautions scare you. The best part about undergoing Botox is that it’s quick and painless. You’ll generally receive a consultation beforehand to determine the best treatment for your needs. And when you do undergo a treatment, a topical numbing gel will be applied fifteen minutes prior. Six to eight injections will be administered into the underlying muscles. Most people say that the injections feel similar to getting vaccinated – that is, they feel only a few seconds of mild discomfort as the Botox enters the injection site. A few hours afterward, the injection site may look red and feel irritated.
Immediately following the injections, you’ll be required to contract the treated muscles. Your physician will ask you to frown, raise your eyebrows and smile and pucker your lips. It sounds silly, but this helps to evenly distribute the Botox throughout the injection site. Your physician will also tell you to refrain from exercising, bending over, lying down or rubbing the area for the first 24-48 hours after treatment. This ensures that the Botox settles in the right place and doesn’t migrate elsewhere. Failure to do so can potentially result in facial paralysis and eyelid drooping.
Expect Excellent Results
Since Botox works by relaxing facial muscles, full results are generally seen within five to seven days. You’ll see deep dynamic wrinkles gradually improve over time, in addition to the early effects seen shortly after treatment. Your results will continue to improve, until about two weeks after the procedure. At that time, you’ll be looking your best. The effects of Botox will gradually wear off over the next four to six months, and the wrinkles will need to be retreated.
LASERAWAY IS THE NATION’S TOP PROVIDER OF BOTOX TREATMENTS
LaserAway is proud to offer the most aesthetic service options of any national skincare provider. LaserAway hires only the most highly trained staff experienced and certified in administering laser and other dermatological procedures. What’s more, LaserAway uses only innovative techniques and cutting-edge laser technology.
LaserAway aims to make your experience comfortable, enjoyable and satisfying. Want to learn more about Botox? Then schedule a free, no-obligation consultation today by emailing LaserAway.com or calling the staff at LaserAway at (888) 965-2737. LaserAway looks forward to helping you turn back the clock with Botox.