One of the most stubborn and hard-to-treat skin problems is enlarged pores. How do pores become enlarged? Hormones regulate the oil glands that produce the sebum (oil), which moves through the lining of each pore and then onto your face. With normal oil production, the oil easily flows through the pore lining and out of the pore. But when your oil glands produce too much oil, this excess oil can clog your pores. This clog makes it difficult for the oil to flow freely, which causes the pore itself to enlarge.
Essential to Health
Pores are essential to your skin’s health. They lubricate your skin, keeping it soft and hydrated. Pores are also home to all of the follicles of hair that grow on your body. Pores become more prominent when they are dilated, infected, or clogged with oil, making them appear larger than they really are.
It’s important to know that you can’t actually “shrink” your pores. Pores are nothing but small openings in the skin. Because they don’t have muscles, pores can’t open or close. While you can’t physically change the structure of your pores by making them smaller, there are a number of things you can do to minimize their appearance. Enlarged pores are caused by a variety of different factors such as:
- Excess oil production. People who have naturally oily skin tend to have larger pores. This happens because when oil and direct collect in your skin, your skin swells and your pores look larger than they normally would.
- As you get older, your skin loses its elasticity, which can cause your pores to look bigger. Sun damage, which typically accumulates with age, also affects the appearance of pores. Sun damage thickens your skin, causing skin cells to collect around the edges of your pores, which stretch them out.
- Generally, males tend to have larger pores than females. Women might experience enlarged pores more often during hormonal changes, particularly during menstruation.
- Genetic predisposition. If one or both of your parents have enlarged pores, you are more likely to experience enlarged pores as well.
Enlarged Pores? Help Is on the Way
What can you do if you have enlarged pores? The appearance of large pores can be greatly reduced in a number of ways.
- Cleansing the pores of debris, excess oil, and bacteria will significantly reduce their prominence. This can be achieved by using a low-strength topical medication or face wash containing retinol or vitamin C. These antioxidants help the skin increase collagen and elastin production while simultaneously loosening dirt and oil from the pores.
- Exfoliating is also key. Exfoliating on a regular basis will diminish the appearance of enlarged pores. If you are routinely getting rid of dead skin cells, which get clogged in your pores, off of your skin, your pores will avoid getting stretched out daily.
- Creams containing retinols. Retinols are derived from vitamin A, and can be found in over-the-counter products. They are an inexpensive way to temporarily diminish the size of your pores.
- Clay masks. Masks containing Kaolin clay are great for reducing the size of pores. Clay masks draw out water and oil from your skin, temporarily giving your skin a nice tightening sensation and refined texture, which means that your pores will appear smaller. You only need to use them once or twice a week for noticeable results.
- Facial toners. Toners like witch hazel remove oil and fluid from the pores and top layers of the skin, helping to refine and tone skin texture. While these results are temporary, they will help make your pores appear smaller.
Need a More Permanent Solution?
If you’re looking for a more permanent solution to reducing your enlarged pores, however, you should consider either IPL photo facials or Clear + Brilliant laser resurfacing.
IPL Photo Facials
IPL photo facials work by using a broad-spectrum light source that penetrates multiple layers of skin. This type of photo facial primarily targets the lower layers of skin (dermis) while leaving the top layers of skin (epidermis) unaffected. The heat generated from the light promotes healing of the skin within, treating a number of different dermatological issues. IPL photo facials specifically minimize enlarged pores by tightening them.
The treatment process itself is straightforward. Before the IPL treatment, a medical professional will apply a cold gel to the target area, and you’ll be required to wear protective eyewear. The treatment lasts around 20 minutes, during which a medical professional will gently apply the IPL handpiece to your skin so that healing light rays can be delivered to the skin’s surface using precise pulses. Most IPL procedures are virtually painless, but more sensitive people might experience mild discomfort – a feeling not unlike a rubber band being snapped against the skin. Photo facials typically require little to no recovery time. Following treatment, you can return to your normal activities. More intense IPL treatments, however, may produce sunburn-like symptoms for up to two weeks after the procedure.
If you want to dramatically diminish your pore size, you must be diligent about scheduling treatment sessions. IPL photo facial treatments call for five treatment sessions spaced three weeks apart to obtain desired results. In some cases, those results can be seen after only the first treatment! And skin continues to improve with each successive treatment.
Clear + Brilliant
Clear + Brilliant rejuvenates the skin from the inside out using a non-invasive dioxide laser. Its non-invasive laser technology gently resurfaces the top layer of the dermis by creating millions of microscopic treatment zones in the skin. Sounds complicated, right? But it’s really just about replacing damaged skin with healthy, younger-looking tissue. The result? Smoother, softer and youthful-looking skin – and most importantly – significantly reduced pore size.
The treatment itself is simple. Each Clear + Brilliant procedure takes about thirty minutes. A topical numbing agent is applied to the face forty minutes prior to the procedure. This is removed right before treatment begins. The actual laser session lasts a quick ten minutes, and most patients experience only a warm tingling or prickling sensation with little or no discomfort. To ensure proper contact with the skin and uniform application to all treated areas, Clear + Brilliant technology uses a patented intelligent Optimal Tracking System. Directly after the Clear + Brilliant laser treatment, a cooling face mask is placed on the treated area for 10 to 15 minutes to reduce any residual sensation of heat.
Clear + Brilliant is clinically proven to significantly reduce the appearance of enlarged pores. Almost all patients who undergo Clear + Brilliant treatments report their skin looks younger and feels smoother. What’s more, their skin achieves a noticeable glow after a series of three to five Clear + Brilliant treatments. This glow owes to the fact that Clear + Brilliant significantly helps refresh skin tone and refine skin texture by shrinking down pore size – indeed, many patients see a significant difference in the appearance of their skin after only one treatment. Within as little as a week, patients notice brighter, softer, more refined and more youthful skin texture.
Let Us Refine Your Pores
LaserAway is proud to offer the most medical spa service options of any national skincare provider. LaserAway hires only the most highly trained staff experienced and certified in administering laser and other dermatological procedures. What’s more, LaserAway uses only innovative techniques and cutting-edge laser technology. LaserAway aims to make your medical spa experience comfortable, enjoyable and satisfying. Want to learn more about Botox? Then schedule a free, no obligation consultation today by emailing LaserAway.net or calling the staff at LaserAway at (888) 965-2737. LaserAway looks forward to helping you battle enlarged pores.