With all sorts of moisturizers on the market, it’s hard to know which one is for you.
Moisturizers are vital to treating dry skin, but it’s not all they do. Moisturizers can also protect sensitive skin, improve skin tone and texture, and mask imperfections. But which one’s best for you?
Moisturizers not only hold water in the outermost layer of skin, they also act as a temporary barrier. The moisturizer that’s best for your skin type depends on several different factors, including your skin type, your age and whether you have acne or other skin conditions.
What’s Your Skin Type?
If you have normal skin, it’s neither too dry nor too oily. So, if you want to maintain your skin’s natural moisture balance, you should use a water-based moisturizer that has a light, non-greasy feel. These moisturizers frequently contain lightweight oils or silicone-derived ingredients.
If you want to restore moisture to dry skin, choose a heavier, oil-based moisturizer that contains ingredients that help keep your skin hydrated. Try petrolatum based moisturizers if you want to keep your skin hydrated, especially if you have dry and cracked skin. Why? Because they last longer and are more effective at preventing water from evaporating from your skin.
Oily skin is prone to acne and breakouts. That being said, oily skin still needs moisture, especially after using skin care products that remove oils and dry out the skin. You should try a light moisturizer, which can help protect your skin after washing. Choose a water-based product that’s labeled noncomedogenic, which means it won’t clog pores.
Sensitive skin is susceptible to skin irritations, redness, itching or rashes. So, check out moisturizers that contain soothing ingredients like chamomile or aloe, and steer clear of fragrances or dyes. Avoid moisturizers containing acids, which can irritate sensitive skin.
As you age, your skin tends to become drier because your oil-producing glands become less active. Look for moisturizers containing petrolatum as the base, along with antioxidants or alpha hydroxyl acids to combat wrinkles. These ingredients help hold in moisture and prevent flaky, scaly skin.
In addition to following these guidelines, you should also look for moisturizers with these key ingredients:
- Sun protection. If you haven’t already figured it out, you should wear sunscreen every day. The easiest way to do this is to choose a day time moisturizer with an SPF of 30 or higher for the best effects. Why? Because sun damage causes wrinkles, age spots, and broken capillaries.
- Did you know that antioxidants can help fight free radicals, which lead to premature aging? It’s true! So look for antioxidants containing vitamins E and C.
- Retinoids are a form of highly effective vitamin A, and help to stimulate skin cell renewal, increasing collagen production. So, retinoids help with fine lines, wrinkles, and hyperpigmentation.
- Peptides, in short, can help with collagen production and elastin stimulation. They are the most helpful at night when the skin is in renewal mode because they heal and regenerate the skin.
- Hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid is a humectant that keeps skin hydrated by drawing water to the skin. This is definitely an essential ingredient in any high quality moisturizer!
LaserAway + Moisturizers = the Ultimate Fountain of Youth
If you want to look younger, it all starts with the right moisturizer! If you combine using the right moisturizer for your skin with an anti-aging medspa package (like what we offer here at LaserAway), you’ll be looking like you’re ready for the catwalk. Try a Clear + Brilliant treatment, or become more radiant through IPL photo facials. The possibilities are endless, really.
Don’t hesitate to contact us. You’ve got nothing to lose – and everything to gain. If you would like to learn more about LaserAway’s medical spa services, or would like to set up a FREE, no obligation consultation, please email us at LaserAway.net or call us at (888) 965-2737.