What’s Threading? And Is It Better than Laser Hair Removal?
You’ve probably read about threading in beauty magazines; it’s apparently all the rage. But what is it exactly? And is it really the best way to remove unwanted hair?
A Beauty Treatment from the East
Threading hair is an ancient method commonly practiced in Eastern countries like Egypt and India. Threading is very similar to tweezing in that it removes only small areas of hair, and it removes the entire hair follicle. Threading is typically used on facial hair only, especially the eyebrows.
Threading works like this: a cotton thread is pulled along unwanted hair in a twisting motion, which traps the hair in a mini lasso, lifting hair right out of the follicle. Threading does have some pros, including:
- It’s extremely sanitary. Nothing but the thread touches the skin, and it’s thrown away after use.
- It’s great for people with unruly brows. Threading has an amazing ability to be incredibly concise when it comes to removing hair.
- No chemicals are applied on the skin. If you’re unable to wax or use depilatories, then threading is ideal.
- It’s fast. Threading eyebrows usually takes around two minutes from start to finish.
- It thins out hair. Over time, frequent threading can cause the hair follicle to become damaged, leading to reduced hair growth.
While these are some pretty good reasons to concern threading, the treatment still definitely has its cons, including:
- Hairs can break. If hair is broken from an inexperienced threading professional, hair re-growth will show up much quicker.
- It can be hard finding someone who is experienced in hair threading. You probably won’t find a salon that does threading in your local neighborhood, since it’s still relatively unknown.
- Some hair growth is necessary. 1/16 inch of hair is needed for thread to wrap around the hair.
- It can’t be performed on the body. Because threading is similar to tweezing, it’s best left for facial hair. Attempting it on body hair would be far too time consuming.
Laser Hair Removal: You Can’t Beat It
Not only can laser hair removal target facial hair, it also works on body hair. And with laser hair removal, you achieve permanent hair reduction, meaning you don’t have to visit the salon week after week.
How does laser hair removal work? Laser hair removal uses laser light pulses that selectively destroy hair follicles by targeting the melanin in them. The follicle’s pigment absorbs the laser’s light pulse, damaging the follicle enough to significantly slow down hair regrowth. Since the lasers target melanin, coarse, dark hair and light skin combinations tend to respond best to treatment.
The Nd:YAG laser has a longer wavelength and better pigment selectivity than other lasers used for hair removal, meaning that it can penetrate hair follicles more precisely, leaving the surrounding skin tissue undamaged.
People with darker hair and darker skin and lighter hair and lighter skin combinations can still achieve desirable results with the Nd:YAG laser. The Nd:YAG laser has a longer wavelength and better pigment selectivity than other lasers used for hair removal, meaning that it can penetrate hair follicles more precisely, leaving the surrounding skin tissue undamaged.
Laser hair removal has numerous advantages, including:
- The speed of the treatment in comparison to threading.
- The technique is considered to be safe if performed properly.
- It is considered to be less painful than other methods.
- It actually works – most people experience long-lasting hair removal or even permanent hair reduction.
- The method is effective for removing hair from large hairs such as back or legs. It can also remove hair from smaller, more delicate areas like the eyebrows.
Some of laser hair removal’s cons are:
- Laser hair removal is only approved by the FDA for “permanent hair reduction” not “permanent hair removal.” This simply means that some regrowth is to be expected.
- Side effects can include itching, swelling, burning, skin discoloration, blistering and infection.
- Since the laser targets melanin, people with dark hair have more success with this treatment than people with light hair.
- Several treatments are needed to remove hair from the desired area. The time each session takes will depend on how big the targeted area is.
- Treatments can be expensive.
Laser Hair Removal Is the Superior Choice
There’s no question, really – laser hair removal wins. While threading might seem enticing, it doesn’t stand a chance against laser hair removal. Threading is incredibly limited in the areas that can be treated – most of the time, only eyebrows can be threaded. Laser hair removal, on the other hand, can not only removal facial hair, but can also remove hair virtually anywhere on the body, including the bikini area, legs, and back. Hair removal results with threading are also only temporary, lasting two to three weeks – with laser hair removal, people typically experience a permanent hair reduction of up to 90%! While laser hair removal may be costlier, you should consider it an investment. The results are definitely worth it!
Choose LaserAway for All Your Laser Hair Removal Needs
LaserAway is proud to offer the most medspa service options of any national skincare provider. We hire only the most highly trained staff experienced and certified in administering laser and other dermatological procedures. What’s more, we use only innovative techniques and cutting-edge laser technology. We aim to make your medical spa experience comfortable, enjoyable and satisfying. Want to learn more about laser hair removal? Then schedule a free, no obligation consultation today by emailing LaserAway.net or calling the staff at LaserAway at (888) 965-2737. LaserAway looks forward to making sure you never have to shave or wax again.