How to Protect Your Skin from Sun and Sea
Summer’s here, and that means you’ll probably be spending lots of time out in the sun and on the beach.
But we all know that the sun and water can really damage and wear out skin. So how should you be protecting yourself?
We’re here to give you the lowdown on all you need to know to protect your skin from the sun and sea this summer.
How Sun Damages Skin & What You Can Do About It
Nothing can feel better than basking in the sun on a beach. But unfortunately, the sun’s rays can really damage skin, leading to premature aging. In fact, sun exposure causes most of the wrinkles and age spots on our faces.
But how exactly does sun exposure damage skin?
Over time, the sun’s ultraviolet rays damage fibers in the skin called elastin. And when elastin begins to break down, your skin begins to sag, stretch, and lose its elasticity. Sun exposure also makes the skin bruise and tear more easily, taking longer to heal. So while sun damage doesn’t seem so apparent right now, it will definitely catch up with you.
Excessive sun exposure can also cause:
- Pre-cancerous and cancerous skin lesions
- Fine and coarse wrinkles
- Mottled pigmentation
- Discoloration of the skin
- Blood vessels
- The destruction of collagen tissue
All of these things sound great, right? Not! Here’s some tips on how to protect your skin against sun damage:
- Cover up. One of the best things you can do to protect your skin against the sun’s harsh rays is to cover up, especially between the hours of 10 am and 4 pm, when the sun’s rays are most intense. If you can’t stay indoors between these times, then cover up and wear sunscreen. Choose hats and clothing made of dark, tightly woven materials since that absorb ultraviolet light better than cotton fabrics in lighter shades.
- Use sunscreen. This is an obvious one, but very important. You should liberally apply an SPF of at least 15, and be sure to spread it on thick enough. Why? Because applying only a thin coating of sunscreen can actually reduce its effectiveness by up to 50 percent. If you’re planning on swimming, then make sure to use a waterproof formula.
- Apply sunscreen early and often. You’ll want to apply sunscreen 20 to 30 minutes before going out in the sun to allow your skin to absorb it. And you’ll want to reapply sun screen every two hours, and more often if you’re out in the water. Don’t forget to wear lip balm with SPF of 15, too, since lips can also burn.
- Don’t forget about your ears, nose, and feet. Unfortunately, protruding horizontal surfaces present special sun protection problems, so it’s best if you apply an SPF of 15, let it soak into your skin, and then apply zinc oxide paste.
- Beware reflected light. Did you know that umbrellas and trees only provide moderate protection from ultraviolet light? And they don’t protect you from rays that are reflected off of sand, snow, concrete and other surfaces. Be sure to apply sunblock to surfaces like the under part of the chin since they are especially vulnerable to reflected light.
- Don’t tan! There’s no such thing as a healthy tan! Tanning actually leads to premature aging and sun damage, so if you want to achieve a glowing tan, use a self-tanner instead.
- Protect yourself even on cloudy days. Just because it’s cloudy outside doesn’t mean that you still can’t get sunburned! Ultraviolet light can still penetrate cloud cover. Even in winter, you can still get sunburned, so make sure to wear sunscreen every single day.
- Watch out for photosensitivity. Did you know that some drugs can make your skin ultra-sensitive to sun exposure? These medications include tetracycline, diuretics, and St. John’s Wort. Talk to your doctor about this potential risk.
- Don’t use tanning beds. There’s no such thing as a safe tanning bed, and tanning beds still produce UVA radiation, which can deeply penetrate skin, damaging it. Once again, use a self-tanner instead!
How Water Damages Your Skin & What You Can Do About It
Not only can the sun damage your skin, so too can salt and chlorinated water.
Salt water can cause dry and itchy skin while chlorine triggers irritated skin and sometimes nasty rashes. So how can you protect your skin against the harmful effects of chlorinated and salt water?
Chlorinated water can really damage and dry your skin out. Here’s some tips to help protect your skin:
- You’ll want to apply a waterproof sunscreen designed to protect against chlorine sensitivities.
- Shower frequently between swims to reduce the amount of chlorine your skin absorbs.
- You should shower again when you are finished swimming to remove all traces of chlorine, and be sure to use soap.
- Apply an after-swim lotion that is specifically designed to neutralize chlorine’s causticity.
- Use a heavy duty moisturizer since water itself removes moisture from the skin.
Saltwater can be nearly as damaging as chlorinated water, so here’s some tips on how to protect your skin from the ocean:
- Make sure to apply waterproof sunscreen before going out swimming, so your skin is protected longer from UVA/UVB rays.
- Since sea water can quickly cause moisture loss from the skin, after you’re finished swimming in the ocean, you should take a bath as quickly as possible using a mild soap.
- After you bathe, you’ll want to apply liberal amounts of moisturizer all over your body, which will soothe your skin and relieve any itching from being in saltwater all day long.
- Be sure to wash saltwater out of your hair using a good shampoo, and follow up with an intensely hydrating conditioner to restore the lost moisture from your hair.
Need a Little Help Achieving Radiant Skin?
Has all that summer fun left your skin looking drab?
If you need a little help achieving radiant, glowing skin, then you should check out Clear + Brilliant, an innovative, non-invasive med spa treatment that gently reverses the early signs of aging! Clear + Brilliant also:
- Reduces pore size
- Gives skin a youthful glow
- Beautifies skin tone and texture
- Corrects pigmentation problems
Clear + Brilliant works its magic by revitalizing skin from the inside out. Its non-invasive laser technology gently resurfaces the top layer of the dermis by creating millions of microscopic treatment zones in the skin. Sounds complicated, right? But it’s really just about replacing damaged skin with healthy, younger-looking tissue. The result? Smoother, softer and youthful-looking skin.
Even better, studies have shown that this revolutionary treatment really works. Clear + Brilliant is clinically proven to significantly reverse early signs of aging. Almost all patients who undergo Clear + Brilliant treatments report their skin looks younger and feels smoother. What’s more, their skin achieves a noticeable glow after a series of three to five Clear + Brilliant treatments. This glow owes to the fact that Clear + Brilliant significantly helps refresh skin tone and texture – indeed, many patients see a significant difference in the appearance of their skin after only one treatment. Within as little as a week, patients notice brighter, softer and more youthful skin texture. With multiple treatments age spots, fine lines and wrinkles fade and soften.
Have Your Fun in the Sun with LaserAway
We can help keep your skin looking radiant even after too much fun in the sun.
We hire only the most talented people to help keep you looking beautiful. The medical staff at LaserAway pride themselves on being the best in the business. They’re certified in administering laser procedures and use only the most cutting edge laser technology and techniques. You’ll always feel at ease with LaserAway. So don’t hesitate to contact us. You’ve got nothing to lose – and everything to gain. If you would like to learn more about LaserAway’s medical spa services, or would like to set up a free, no obligation consultation, please email us at LaserAway.net or call us at (888) 965-2737.