Does Laser Tattoo Removal Leave Scars?
Myth: Laser tattoo removal leaves a scar.
Laser tattoo removal typically doesn’t result in scar formation. But sometimes darker-skinned individuals can experience some loss of pigmentation; over time, however, this becomes less noticeable. And occasionally the outline of the original tattoo can persist.
But don’t worry. You can do much to prevent scarring. And we’ve got the expert tips to ensure you’re successful!
Prevent Laser Tattoo Removal Scarring Before Your Visit
- Drink lots of water. Staying hydrated before and after your procedure will increase the speed of recovery.
- Take vitamins—especially vitamin E. Vitamin E and aloe aid healing.
- Don’t smoke. The success of removing a tattoo after ten treatments are reduced by 70% if you’re a smoker. Quit smoking beforehand and switch to nicotine gum.
- Make sure to find a qualified laser tattoo removal technician.
And to Prevent Laser Tattoo Removal Scarring After Your Visit
- Apply ointment three times a day. This will increase the speed of healing and reduce scarring.
- Take it easy for the next few days.
- Wash twice a day with mild soap and water. Antibacterial soap can cause irritation and inflammation.
- Always pat the treated area with a paper towel to dry, and don’t rub. Rubbing can cause the scabs to come off too early, resulting in a longer healing process.
- Change bandage and dressing after every wash.
- Don’t pick at scabs; this causes scarring.
- Don’t pop any blisters; this also causes scarring.
- Stay out of the sun. You should stay out of the sun for several weeks after your last laser tattoo removal session. Sun exposure causes blistering and increases the time it takes to heal.
- After several weeks, use sunblock when you’re out in the sun.
- Wait at least six weeks between laser tattoo removal sessions. Why? Because your body continues to break down the ink in the tattoo long after the laser zaps it. The longer you wait, the better results you’ll have.
- Once again, quit smoking!
By following these tips you should significantly minimize chances of scarring. While scarring is possible, laser tattoo removal targets the pigmentation, not skin cells—which leaves the skin cells intact and undamaged. Most lasers are specifically designed to only travel deep enough into the skin to target the ink and pigment, not the skin cells that rest deeply and can produce scarring. Unless you have a history of keloid scarring, you shouldn’t be concerned about developing scars after your procedure.
If you have a scar you tattooed over, or if the skin actually developed scar tissue from the original tattooing procedure, laser tattoo removal will not remove that scar tissue. Indeed, the scar may even become more visible.
Nothing Works Better than Laser Tattoo Removal
There’s no other choice, really. Laser tattoo removal is the only safe and effective method to remove unwanted tattoos. After a series of successful laser treatments, most tattoos are pretty much gone. Keep in mind, however, that how fast your tattoo disappears depends on its color pigments, depth, and age. But even stubborn cases aren’t hopeless. Though colors such as yellow, green, or light blue are more difficult to remove, they can certainly be faded. The same goes for ink that rests deep within the dermis.
The good news is that technology just keeps on getting better. Newer laser technologies such as the Nd:YAG and Q-switch can now effectively treat even the most stubborn ink colors.
Let LaserAway Liberate You from Unwanted Tattoos
LaserAway is proud to offer the most medspa service options of any national skincare provider. We hire only the most highly trained staff experienced and certified in administering laser and other dermatological procedures. What’s more, we use only innovative techniques and cutting-edge laser technology. We aim to make your medical spa experience comfortable, enjoyable and satisfying. Want to learn more about laser tattoo removal? Then schedule a free, no-obligation consultation today by emailing LaserAway.com or calling the staff at LaserAway at (888) 965-2737.