Being a new mom is challenging – it’s difficult juggling work, caring for a new baby, and functioning on minimal sleep. To top it all off, many new mothers find it tough regaining their pre-pregnancy figure. Some common appearance issues women face during and after pregnancy include:
- Weight gain. Most pregnant women end up gaining a significant amount of weight during their pregnancy. It often takes several months to shed the weight through diet and exercise. Even with a lot of effort, some areas are resistant to weight loss, such as your stomach or hips. But it’s important that you try to take this weight off as soon as possible, since being overweight after pregnancy has been linked with obesity later on in life. You should avoid crash dieting, and always breastfeed your child whenever you can, which helps burn up to 300 calories per day.
- Hyperpigmentation. If you normally have a darker complexion, then you’re more prone to developing blotchy areas of skin that tend to show up on your upper lip, nose, cheekbones, and forehead. Known as the mask of pregnancy, this kind of hyperpigmentation is triggered by hormones and sun exposure.
- Loose tummy skin. This is perhaps the most common issue for new moms. If you want to tighten your stomach, it’s no easy feat, but it starts with first losing any extra baby weight. After that, you’ll want to engage in strength training exercises at the gym. Be careful, though – you’ll want to lose weight slowly, since losing it too rapidly can actually make your loose stomach skin worse.
- Fine lines and wrinkles. If you’re a new mom, then you probably know how stressful it can be. Combine stress with lack of sleep and poor nutrition, and your skin will be looking dull. New moms tend to put their children first, often neglecting themselves, especially when it comes to preventing premature aging. For instance, failing to wear sunblock on a daily basis is the main culprit in the formation of fine lines and wrinkles. What’s more, due to hormonal changes, many new moms notice increased acne and blotchiness, which causes them to look older than their actual age. You’ll want to cleanse and moisturize your skin twice a day, and apply sunblock in the mornings to prevent against the formation of premature fine lines and wrinkles.
Of all of these common issues that new moms face, perhaps the most pressing are weight gain, loose body skin, and fine lines and wrinkles. Below contains some lifestyle tips that can help you restore your formal self:
- While most women think that diet is the fastest way to lose weight directly after having a baby, most physicians advise against a dramatic cut in calories. You should be eating at least 1,800 calories per day while breastfeeding – you can’t produce quality milk if you’re not eating enough. The good news is that breastfeeding burns calories, which aids in weight loss
- If you’re not breastfeeding, then you should aim to lose no more than a pound per week. This postpartum time should be focused on restoring your nutrition and energy levels.
- Exercising regularly is strongly encouraged. This not only helps you get your body back into shape, but it also increases energy levels and reduces the risk of postpartum depression. Check with your doctor before starting an exercise routine, though.
- One of the easiest ways to lose weight is to walk. You can even bring your baby with you – there are many walking stroller workouts to choose from. You can use the stroller as a piece of fitness equipment, and engage in exercises that rely on the stroller.
- Loose skin is inevitable with pregnancy. However, it’s important that you start strength-training exercises right away to build a strong sore, which is an area that’s often neglected during pregnancy.
- Did you have strong core muscles before pregnancy? That doesn’t matter – during pregnancy, you lose that strength since all the muscles are attenuated and stretched out. Engage in a pelvic tilt, a modified sit-up, squeeze and tighten your butt and then relax. Try putting a pillow between your knees and squeeze and relax. This will help to strengthen your back and build your core.
- Don’t put too much pressure on your joints, though. After giving birth, you’re more prone to injury.
- Don’t just focus on your core – you’ll want to engage your whole body in strength training exercises to really get your figure back. Aim to do strength training exercises three to four times per week.
Fine Lines and Wrinkles:
- To prevent premature aging, you need to wear sunblock daily. Fine lines are the result of damage to collagen and elastin, and wrinkles tend to show up first around the eyes because the skin around there is thinner.
- Use moisturizers containing vitamin A derived retinoids, which help promote cell renewal, smoothing skin and increasing collagen.
- Receive regular chemical peels. This helps remove fine lines by lifting that outer layer of the skin.
- Use a serum instead of a lotion or cream. Facial serums contain a higher concentration of wrinkle fighters, which help stimulate collagen production.
Of all these three challenges, it’s important to eat smart. More specifically, you want to load up on whole grains, fresh vegetables, fruits, healthy fats, and lean meats, which will result in a thinner you that has more radiant skin. You’ll want to avoid excess salt, processed meats, simple carbohydrates, refined sugars, alcohol, and excessive caffeine. Foods such as these make your blood sugar spike and then crash. The result? You feel hungrier sooner, and will be more likely to reach for a candy bar or chips. Remember to always choose foods packed with nutrients.
*Results and patient experience may vary.
When Lifestyle Changes Aren’t Enough, There’s Thermage
Every new mom should consider Thermage – it helps soften fine lines and wrinkles on the face as well as tightens loose belly skin. If you are unfamiliar with Thermage, it’s a revolutionary treatment for aging skin that can transform and revitalize aging skin on many areas of the body. What’s more, you can customize Thermage treatments to suit your needs. Here are the ins and outs of this revolutionary new treatment:
Thermage works from the inside out. It transfers heat to the epidermis, which not only encourages collagen production, but also tightens existing collagen. Thermage effects this partly through radiofrequency technology, which produces electrical currents that causes collagen within the skin to contract and gradually reform. This is why most individuals experience dramatic tightening and smoothing of the skin over the six months following treatment. Since the outer layers of the skin are unaffected, there is almost no recovery time involved. The most amazing thing of all? Results from a single Thermage treatment tend to last up to ten years.
Thermage treatments fit easily into even the most hectic lifestyles. Depending on area being treated, a Thermage procedure can take anywhere from 45 minutes to 1 ½ hours. Prior to the procedure, a physician will usually administer local anesthesia, as well as oral pain medication to ease any discomfort. During the actual Thermage procedure, patients typically experience an alternation of cooling and heating sensations as the Thermage device penetrates the skin’s deeper layers. The physician will usually monitor the heat intensity to maintain comfort levels. With each radiofrequency pulse—which only lasts a few seconds—collagen in the deeper layers of the dermis is heated just enough to trigger substantial remodeling and regrowth. To prevent damage, the skin’s surface is also simultaneously cooled using an integrated cooling system.
Though some people notice immediate results after a single treatment, most typically experience dramatic results in the two to six months following treatment. During this time collagen slowly starts to regrow and remodel. Best of all, results achieved through one Thermage treatment tend to last for several years, meaning you don’t have to worry about time-consuming maintenance treatments.
*Results and patient experience may vary.
Your Post-Pregnancy Partner in Getting Back to Beautiful
Being a new mother is challenging. It requires drastic changes in your schedule, and it can especially take a toll on your appearance and self-esteem. Luckily, these challenges can be overcome with Thermage.
There to help you overcome them is LaserAway. We’re your go-to source for Thermage. Committed to providing the best customer service, we use only cutting-edge technology and techniques. And our highly trained staff is experienced and certified in laser and other procedures. They strive to make sure your visit is enjoyable, comfortable, and satisfying.
Want to learn more about what Thermage can do for you? Schedule a free, no-obligation consultation today by emailing us at LaserAway.com or calling our staff at (888) 965-2737.
*Results and patient experience may vary.