Are you 40, or approaching 40? And would you like to prevent the worst ravages of aging?
Then understand that maintaining a youthful appearance all boils down to how well you take care of yourself. And that means treating your body and your skin right. We’re here to give you tips on how to look your best at 40, and beyond.
Slow Down the Aging Process
While you can’t stop your skin from aging, you can slow down the aging process. But it takes effort to age gracefully.
But let’s discuss why aging happens in the first place. Skin aging happens when collagen and elastin in your skin start to deteriorate. Culprits behind decreased collagen and elastin in your skin are UV rays, smoking, and inflammation from a poor diet. What happens when your skin doesn’t produce enough collagen and elastin? Wrinkles and lines begin to creep in.
As you approach your 40s, you may notice that your skin is thinner, duller, and less vibrant. Photoaging, like age spots and uneven pigmentation, may also start to develop, especially if you’ve gone most of your life without using sun protection. Your skin also produces less oil as you grow older, leading to dryness. Cell turnover is slower, which means your skill looks duller.
Luckily, though, if you’re wise about caring for your skin, you can still age slowly and gracefully. But this means you’ll have to step up your skincare regimen.
Essential Skincare Tips for 40, and Beyond
If you want to decrease fine lines and wrinkles, and increase collagen, elastin, cell turnover, and moisture, then follow these expert skincare tips:
- Use retinoids. Retinoids, derived from vitamin A, help to increase cell turnover, reducing fine lines and wrinkles, uneven pigmentation, and rough patches. The one downside to using retinoids, however, is that they cause extra dryness, so you’ll want to moisturize. Use a retinoid cream two to three times a week, and your skin will be looking flawless in no time.
- As you get older, your skin dries out more easily. Instead of using moisturizing creams, you should consider using facial oil, like argan oil or coconut oil.
- Hyaluronic acid. If your skin is super dry, you should use hyaluronic acid coupled with facial oils. Hyaluronic acid, found naturally in the skin, is responsible for keeping skin plump. As we age, hyaluronic acid production in our skin slows down, so it’s vital to replenish this. Make a hyaluronic acid serum a part of your daily beauty routine.
- Exfoliation is key to stimulating cell turnover, removing dead skin cells and debris. Look for exfoliators that contain papaya and pineapple enzymes, lactic acid, and/or oatmeal. You should exfoliate your skin once or twice a week.
- This one’s a given! If you want to stop premature aging in its tracks, you should make sure to wear sunscreen with at least an SPF 30+ every single day, rain or shine. Sunscreen is critical in preventing and protecting mature skin from further sun damage. If you’re worried that sunscreen might clog your pores, there are plenty of options that won’t cause breakouts.
- Mineral cosmetics. Did you know that mineral makeup acts as a natural sunscreen? So instead of using your usual foundation, consider switching over to a mineral-based one. Plus, mineral foundations don’t contain any harsh chemicals or preservatives.
- Skincare procedures. There are loads of gentle med spa procedures that can rejuvenate your skin, like microdermabrasion, laser toning, and chemical peels. These simple procedures help stimulate the skin and repair tissue damage.
Watch Out for Time’s Effect on Your Body
Your skin’s not the only thing that ages as you get older – your body does, too. As you grow older, your metabolism slows down by 2% per decade. You also lose more muscle tone and bone density. But it doesn’t stop there – you become more prone to stress and depression, and with those things, a lower libido.
Here are some tips on how rescue your body from the worst effects of aging:
- Eat breakfast. We’ve all heard it before – breakfast is essential to keeping weight down. And by a lot, too! One study found that women who ate a big breakfast every day lost over 20% of their body weight after 8 months, compared with 4.5% for women who ate small breakfasts. Why? Because eating a hearty breakfast can actually speed up your metabolism. Some healthy breakfast options include protein shakes, oatmeal, and omelets.
- We’ve said this before, but sunscreen isn’t just for your face. You should also slather it all over your body before going out in the sun. You can just as easily get wrinkles and age spots on your body as you can on your face.
- Strength training. If you really want to jump-start your metabolism, you should do strength training at least three times a week. Plus, strength training helps you increase your bone density, maintain balance, and avoid injury. Who wouldn’t want a tone, sleek body?
- Calcium and vitamin D. Both these vitamins are not only essential for strong bones, they also aid in weight loss. You should aim to get 1,000 mg of calcium and 800 IU of vitamin D every day. Some rich sources of vitamin D and calcium include salmon and milk.
- Practicing mindfulness can help reduce your stress levels. Why is it so important to reduce stress? Because stress can leave to inflammation, increased blood pressure, less energy, lower libido, and faster cell death. Some mindfulness practices include yoga, meditation, and breathing exercises.
- If you want to maintain or lose weight, you should increase your protein intake. Plus, did you know that eating foods with all the amino acids needed to form complete proteins helps boost mood-lifting neurotransmitters in the brain? This can help alleviate depression, slow thinking, and poor memory. Good sources of complete protein are fish, eggs, and quinoa.
- Cardio is essential to maintaining a good figure. Plus, engaging in cardio exercise has loads of health benefits, like improved cholesterol, heart function, and muscle mass as well as reduced risk of osteoporosis. You should aim for 30 minutes of cardio every day.
Want to Look your Best at 40?
If you need a little extra help looking your best, there are two amazing treatments that produce some powerful results for your body and your skin – VelaShape and Botox.
Look fabulous at 40 with VelaShape, the only FDA-cleared body contouring device. It effectively and safely contours, shapes and slims the body by reducing cellulite and firming problem areas — all in as little as four treatments.
With VelaShape you can get fit and look great in no time.
That’s because VelaShape boasts four different components – radiofrequency, infrared light, vacuum suction, and mechanical massage. The infrared light and radiofrequency energies allow VelaShape to precisely heat dermal and hypodermal tissue in the treatment area. This heating effect boosts fat cell metabolism and reduces the number and size of fat cells, thereby eliminating cellulite. At the same time, VelaShape’s mechanical massage rollers gently knead the area, increasing circulation, encouraging lymphatic drainage and eliminating fat cell byproducts and toxins. Finally, the vacuum suction technology smooths out dimples by stretching fibrous bands in the epidermis, reducing the appearance of cellulite. The end result of these high-tech applications is a significant reduction in body circumference and cellulite, and smoother, firmer skin.
Science supports VelaShape’s effects. People in clinical trials experienced an average of half an inch to a full three inches of circumferential reduction in treated areas after a series of four treatments. What’s more, their cellulite was reduced by up to 63%. Another clinical study showed that 85% of patients saw their thighs shrink up to three inches!
Add a youthful glow to that VelaShape-fabulous body with Botox. Botox is a revolutionary prescription medication that improves moderate to severe frown lines, forehead furrows, smoker’s lines and crow’s feet. Botox is a great alternative to invasive cosmetic procedures. It’s quick, painless, and seldom causes side effects.
Botox is a neurotoxin and works by attaching itself to nerve endings. Once this happens, the neurotransmitter responsible for triggering muscle contractions, called acetylcholine, can’t be released. To put it more simply, Botox injections temporarily relax the facial muscles that underlie and cause wrinkles.
Botox offers real, noticeable results. Since Botox works by weakening facial muscles, full results are generally seen within five to seven days. You’ll see deep dynamic wrinkles gradually improve over time, in addition to the early effects seen shortly after treatment. Your results will continue to improve, until about two weeks after the procedure. At that time, you’ll be looking your best.
Make LaserAway a Lifelong Part of Your Beauty Routine
LaserAway can help you battle the worst effects of aging with style. LaserAway is proud to offer the most medical spa service options of any national skincare provider. LaserAway hires only the most highly trained staff experienced and certified in administering laser and other dermatological procedures. What’s more, LaserAway uses only innovative techniques and cutting-edge laser technology. LaserAway aims to make your medical spa experience comfortable, enjoyable and satisfying. Want to learn more about VelaShape? Botox? Then schedule a free, no obligation consultation today by emailing LaserAway.net or calling the staff at LaserAway at (888) 965-2737.
LaserAway looks forward to helping you look your best, no matter what your age!