10 Ways to Protect Your Hair This Summer
It’s summer, and that means lots of beach outings and swimming.
And while you should always protect your skin from the sun’s harsh rays by religiously wearing sunscreen, you also need to protect your hair from both the sun and water.
Water and sun can easily damage and discolor hair. We’re here to tell you how you can protect your beautiful locks from the elements this summer.
Protect Your Hair from the Sun with These Hot Tips
The sun can really damage your hair, causing unnecessary oxidation. This can lead to dryness, color changes, and split ends.
But there’s lots of ways you can protect your tresses from the sun’s damaging effects. Some of our best tips include:
- Because the sun breaks down the hair’s protein called keratin, it’s important to keep your hair well moisturized to help prevent damage. Try using a leave-in conditioner for when you go outside – this well help to minimize damage.
- Wearing a hat is a great way to protect your hair (and your scalp) from the sun’s harsh rays while you’re out and about. You should wear wide-brimmed hats if you want full coverage.
- UV protection. If you really want to prevent your hair from oxidizing, you should apply sunscreen to your hair. In fact, the same sunscreen you use on your skin can also be used in your hair. You should use a sunscreen with an SPF of 25, and then dilute it a bit with water. Mix 3 teaspoons of sunscreen with ½ cup of water and spritz it on your hair. Then your hair will be protected from the sun’s UVB/UVA rays.
- Stay away from peroxide, alcohol, and lemon. These products can cause your hair to dry out a lot faster, leading to further damage and oxidation.
- Head wraps. If you don’t like hats, you can easily protect your hair by wearing a head wrap or updo style like a bun. This will help prevent damage caused by the sun’s harsh rays.
Protect Your Hair from Water
Summer’s all about swimming, right? And if you’re hanging out in a pool, chances are you’ll encounter chlorine. If you’re blonde, this can mean big trouble. Blonde hair is known to turn green due to the exposure to copper and chlorine.
If you’re out swimming in a pool, here are some ways you can protect your hair:
- Try applying a thin layer of oil to your hair prior to swimming. Olive oil and coconut oil are the best to use, and all you have to do is rub it through your hair to protect it from the damaging effects of chlorine.
- If oil’s not your thing, then wet your hair with non-chlorinated water before swimming. This will lessen the amount of chlorine that can be absorbed by your hair.
- Buy special shampoos like Ulraswim and other pre-swim conditioners that keep hair healthy while swimming.
- You’ll want to re-wet your hair often to rinse off the chlorine, and if you don’t want to get your hair wet, then use a bathing cap to prevent your hair from getting wet.
- After you swim, you’ll want to wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo that’ll get all the chlorine off, and follow it up with a heavy duty conditioner, since hair can become easily dried out.
If you follow these tips when you swim, your hair should be totally protected!
And Don’t Forget About Your Face; It Needs Special Summer Care Too
Just like your hair needs loving, so too does your skin. If you’re looking to undo some sun damage, then we’ve got two med spa procedures you should check out – Clear + Brilliant and IPL Photo Facials.
Clear + Brilliant
Start your summer with Clear + Brilliant, an innovative, non-invasive med spa treatment that gently reverses the early signs of aging!
Clear + Brilliant also:
- Reduces pore size
- Gives skin a youthful glow
- Beautifies skin tone and texture
- Corrects pigmentation problems
Clear + Brilliant works its magic by revitalizing skin from the inside out. Its non-invasive laser technology gently resurfaces the top layer of the dermis by creating millions of microscopic treatment zones in the skin. Sounds complicated, right? But it’s really just about replacing damaged skin with healthy, younger-looking tissue. The result? Smoother, softer and youthful-looking skin.
The treatment itself is simple. Each Clear + Brilliant procedure takes about thirty minutes. To ensure proper contact with the skin and uniform application to all treated areas, Clear + Brilliant technology uses a patented intelligent Optimal Tracking System. Directly after the Clear + Brilliant laser treatment, a cooling face mask is placed on the treated area for 10 to 15 minutes to reduce any residual sensation of heat.
Most people need little to no recovery time following a Clear + Brilliant procedure, meaning it won’t bring a halt to your summer fun.
Clear + Brilliant is clinically proven to significantly reverse early signs of aging. Almost all patients who undergo Clear + Brilliant treatments report their skin looks younger and feels smoother. What’s more, their skin achieves a noticeable glow after a series of three to five Clear + Brilliant treatments. This glow owes to the fact that Clear + Brilliant significantly helps refresh skin tone and texture – indeed, many patients see a significant difference in the appearance of their skin after only one treatment. Within as little as a week, patients notice brighter, softer and more youthful skin texture. With multiple treatments age spots, fine lines and wrinkles fade and soften.
IPL Photo Facials
IPL photo facials, which use a broad spectrum light source that penetrates multiple layers of skin, are most ideal for people who have:
- Fair, untanned skin
- Shallow acne scars or large pores
- Fine lines and wrinkles caused by aging
- Irregular pigmentation caused by sun damage, aging or medication
- Brown spots or facial redness
- Broken capillaries and spider veins
IPL photo facials work by using a broad-spectrum light source that penetrates multiple layers of skin. This type of photo facial primarily targets the lower layers of skin (dermis) while leaving the top layers of skin (epidermis) unaffected. The heat generated from the light promotes healing of the skin within, treating a number of different dermatological issues.
The treatment process itself is straightforward. Most IPL procedures are virtually painless, but more sensitive people might experience mild discomfort – a feeling not unlike a rubber band being snapped against skin. Photo facials typically require little to no recovery time. Following treatment, you can return to your normal activities. More intense IPL treatments, however, may produce sunburn-like symptoms for up to two weeks after the procedure.
IPL photo facial treatments call for five treatment sessions spaced three weeks apart to obtain desired results. In some cases those results can be seen after only the first treatment. And skin continues to improve with each successive treatment. Now that’s something to celebrate!
Make LaserAway Your One-Stop Med Spa Treatment Service
Celebrate summer with LaserAway.
LaserAway is proud to offer the most medical spa service options of any national skincare provider. LaserAway hires only the most highly trained staff experienced and certified in administering laser and other dermatological procedures. What’s more, LaserAway uses only innovative techniques and cutting-edge laser technology. LaserAway aims to make your medical spa experience comfortable, enjoyable and satisfying. Want to learn more about IPL photo facials? Clear + Brilliant? Then schedule a free, no obligation consultation today by emailing LaserAway.net or calling the staff at LaserAway at (888) 965-2737. LaserAway looks forward to helping you look fresh and radiant all summer long.