The Best Moisturizers for Oily Skin
If you have oily skin, chances are you experience frequent breakouts and enlarged pores.
But even if your skin is oily, you should still moisturize it regularly to prevent premature aging. It’s actually a common myth that people with oily skin shouldn’t use moisturizers – not moisturizing your skin regularly can actually lead to increased oil production.
While finding the right moisturizer for your skin might seem like a challenge, it’s really not. You should look for oil-free moisturizers that balance out your skin’s natural levels and reduce shine. Skim the ingredients list for key ingredients like vitamin C, lemongrass, and willow bark extract to find a moisturizer that is tailored to your specific needs.
Need some help controlling your oily skin? We’re here to give you the lowdown on our top moisturizers for oily skin as well as some tips on how to keep your oil production under control.
Some of the Industry’s Best Moisturizers for Oily Skin
All of the moisturizers on our list are guaranteed to moisturize your skin while preventing breakouts and shine. Plus, most of these moisturizers are hypoallergenic, so they’re safe for sensitive skin, too!
- Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel. This lightweight oil-free moisturizer provides intense hydration while still keeping oil and sweat at bay.
- Pinks Boutique Lemongrass and Cemellia Moisturizer. This water-based moisturizer balances and refreshes skin – lemongrass, a natural antiseptic, helps clear up breakouts, while aloe vera soothes and heals skin.
- Origins Zero Oil Oil-Free Moisture Lotion. This lightweight, oil-free lotion that contains saw palmetto, mint, and salicylic acid reduces shine and prevents breakouts.
- Cetaphil Oil Control Moisturizer SPF 30. This lightweight daytime moisturizer is clinically proven to help manage oily skin while providing broad spectrum protection from the sun’s harmful rays.
- The Body Shop Tea Tree Skin Clearing Lotion. This light, mattifying lotion hydrates skin and controls oils while helping to clear and prevent blemishes.
- Shiseido Pureness Moisturizing Gel Cream. This lightweight formula replenishes moisture and reduces shine.
- Simple Clear Skin Oil Balancing Moisturizer. This affordable moisturizer instantly smooths skin, leaving it clear and glowing but shine-free.
- Burt’s Bees Natural Acne Solutions Daily Moisturizing Lotion. This moisturizer soothes skin with witch hazel and hops and treats acne with salicylic acid.
- Clean and Clear Essentials Dual Action Moisturizer. This oil-free moisturizer contains salicylic acid to help treat and prevent blemishes from forming while hydrating skin.
- Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Oil Control Moisturizer. This lightweight moisturizer contains chamomile, lavender, and tea tree oil to soothe skin and prevent breakouts.
Other Must-Have Skincare Products for Oily Skin
As we all know, controlling the amount of oil your skin produces starts with a good beauty care regime that includes the right kinds of cleansers, toners, and moisturizers. We’ve already covered moisturizers, so we’re going to fill you in on everything else! Check out these products:
- The most effective way to manage oily skin is to cleanse your face twice a day. You’ll want to use a gentle cleanser since harsher cleansers can actually increase oil production. You’ll also want to avoid using a washcloth or buff puff, which can also stimulate more oil production. If a basic hypoallergenic cleanser isn’t cutting it, you can try one that contains benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, glycolic acid, or beta-hydroxy acid. While these ingredients are mostly for acne-prone skin, they also work fine if you just have oily skin. Be sure to wash with warm – and not hot – water, since extreme temperatures can actually irritate the skin.
- Medicated Facial Pads. Medicated pads that contain salicylic acid and glycolic acid are great for keeping oil at bay. The best part about them is that you can freshen up your skin and remove excess oil throughout the day.
- Blotting papers. Blotting paper is another must have for oily skin. They remove excess oil, and they don’t dry out your skin. All you have to do is periodically apply it to oily areas, like the forehead, nose, and chin.
- Clay Masks. Applying clay masks to the skin helps to draw out oils and cleanse pores, but you need to be careful – sometimes they can dry your skin out. So, you should use clay masks only on occasion and apply them only to problem areas.
- Medicated creams. Over the counter benzoyl peroxide creams help to treat acne prone and oily skin by destroying the bacteria in pores. It usually takes four weeks to work, and should be used continuously.
- Everyone should wear sunscreen all the time if they want to prevent premature aging, and those with oily skin are no exception. But because traditional sunscreens can make oily skin even oilier, you should consider buying a sunscreen gel that’s oil-free to prevent your skin from looking oilier.
Need a Little Extra Help with Oily Skin? Check Out These Innovative Treatments
Laser treatments, chemical peels, and microdermabrasion can all help keep oil production under wraps. But the three most effective treatments include LED photo facials, Botox, and Clear + Brilliant.
LED Photo Facials
LED photo facials not only reduce oil production, they also treat sun damaged skin, mild wrinkles, acne flare ups and uneven skin tone.
How do LED photo facials work? LED photo facials use narrow spectrum visible light to kill acne-causing bacteria and to stimulate collagen production. The effects of the light therapy depend on the wavelength being used. Infrared light stimulates fibroblasts, which produce collagen and elastin. The result? Plumper, smoother, and firmer skin. Blue wavelengths kill acne-causing bacteria and decrease oil production, and green wavelengths correct skin discoloration.
LED photo facials are extremely gentle and painless. Before treatment, you’ll be asked to remove all make up and put on protective eyewear. A medical professional will position the LED light close to the treatment area for a certain amount of time, usually around 20 minutes. Because there is no heat involved, you can confidently resume your normal activities directly following a procedure.
Outcomes tend to vary more with LED photo facial treatments. Some people notice results in as little as a few days. Others take a month or two to notice a change. Though LED results can be subtle at first, they continue to improve after each successive treatment. You’ll likely notice a big change in your appearance after undergoing LED photo facials for three months or longer.
While Botox is a prescription medication that is used to treat dynamic wrinkles, it can actually reduce oily skin as well. Instead of injecting Botox into dynamic wrinkles, it’s injected into sebaceous glands, causing them to shrink. Botox also visibly reduces pore size, resulting in smoother, clearer, and less oily skin.
What’s a Botox treatment like? You’ll generally receive a consultation beforehand to determine the best treatment for your needs. And when you do undergo a treatment, a topical numbing gel will be applied fifteen minutes prior. Six to eight injections will be administered into the underlying muscles and sebaceous glands. Most people say that the injections feel similar to getting vaccinated – that is, they feel only a few seconds of mild discomfort as the Botox enters the injection site. A few hours afterwards, the injection site may look red and feel irritated.
People generally notice less oily skin in the weeks after Botox, and the effects last several months.
Clear + Brilliant
Clear + Brilliant is a revolutionary laser treatment that not only reduces oil production but also erases fine lines and wrinkles, reduces pore size, and improves skin texture and tone.
Clear + Brilliant works its magic by revitalizing skin from the inside out. Its non-invasive laser technology gently resurfaces the top layer of the dermis by creating millions of microscopic treatment zones in the skin. Sounds complicated, right? But it’s really just about replacing damaged skin with healthy, younger-looking tissue. The result? Smoother, softer and youthful-looking skin.
The treatment itself is simple. Each Clear + Brilliant procedure takes about thirty minutes. A topical numbing agent is applied to the face forty minutes prior to the procedure. This is removed right before treatment begins. The actual laser session lasts a quick ten minutes, and most patients experience only a warm tingling or prickling sensation with little or no discomfort. To ensure proper contact with the skin and uniform application to all treated areas, Clear + Brilliant technology uses a patented intelligent Optimal Tracking System. Directly after the Clear + Brilliant laser treatment, a cooling face mask is placed on the treated area for 10 to 15 minutes to reduce any residual sensation of heat.
Clear + Brilliant is clinically proven to significantly reduce oil production and reverse early signs of aging. Almost all patients who undergo Clear + Brilliant treatments report their skin looks younger and feels smoother. What’s more, their skin achieves a noticeable glow after a series of three to five Clear + Brilliant treatments. This glow owes to the fact that Clear + Brilliant significantly helps refresh skin tone and texture – indeed, many patients see a significant difference in the appearance of their skin after only one treatment. Within as little as a week, patients notice brighter, softer and more youthful skin texture. With multiple treatments age spots, fine lines and wrinkles fade and soften.
Say Hello to Shine-Free Skin with LaserAway
LaserAway is proud to be the largest medspa provider in the United States. The medical staff at LaserAway pride themselves on being the best in the business. They’re certified in administering laser procedures and use only the most cutting edge laser technology and techniques. You’ll always feel at ease with LaserAway. So don’t hesitate to contact us. You’ve got nothing to lose – and everything to gain. If you would like to learn more about LaserAway’s medical spa services, or would like to set up a free, no obligation consultation, please email us at LaserAway.net or call us at (888) 965-2737.