What Are Sunspots?
If you’ve spent quite a lot of time basking in the sun, then you likely have a few unsightly sunspots.
If you’re unfamiliar with sunspots, they’re nothing more than dark sections of the skin that develop as a result of excessive sun exposure. And you don’t have to be old to get them, either. People of all ages can develop sunspots, and they’re most common in fair skinned people. Plus, if you’re taking birth control pills, you’re at increased risk of getting them due to hormones and the resulting increase sensitivity to the sun.
3 Types of Sunspots
There are three categories of sunspots:
- Cherry hemangiomas. These sunspots are small red dots that are usually smaller than a pencil eraser, and they’re caused by an overgrowth of blood vessels in the skin. Luckily, cherry hemangiomas aren’t linked to skin cancer, but they can appear anywhere on the body.
- These sunspots are flat, tan or darkish and look very similar to freckles. They can be as small as a pencil eraser or as large as a dime, and lentigines are what most people think of when they think of age spots. These sunspots mainly develop in sun-exposed areas of the skin.
- Seborrheic keratosis. These sunspots can be flat or raised and can range from pale to dark brown or black. They’re very similar in appearance to warts, and they form as a result of sunlight, age, and genetics.
Yes, You Can Prevent Sunspots
All of these different kinds of sunspots sound nasty, right?
Luckily there’s a lot you can do to prevent them from forming in the first place. Sunspots are a good indication that your skin is sun damaged, so the easiest way to prevent them is to avoid excessive sun exposure.
Other tips include:
- Cover up. Since sunspots mainly form on areas like the face, arms, neck, and shoulders, keeping these areas covered will help you avoid discoloration.
- Sunscreen is the easiest way to prevent sunspots from forming in the first place. 15 to 30 minutes before you head outside, you should apply a broad spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30+ to all exposed areas of your body. Make sure to reapply the sunscreen every two hours, or sooner, if you’ve been swimming or sweating.
- Retin A. Retin A is a prescription medication that can help control sunspots. How? Retin A helps skin shed dead skin cells, revealing fresh, undamaged skin underneath. This is great to use if you see some sunspots forming.
- Make sure to exfoliate at least twice a week. This helps to shed dead skin cells, helping to rejuvenate skin. You can easily make your own body scrub at home using brown sugar and coconut oil. Exfoliation is a great way to help prevent or fade sunspots.
Already Got Sunspots?
Already have some sunspots? There’s a few treatments that can help fade them. These include:
- Hydroquinone cream. Hydroquinone cream is a topical treatment that reduces production of melanin, the pigment in the skin. You can find over-the-counter hydroquinone cream or you can also get prescription strength. You should use it for four to six months and then take a break.
- Chemical peels. Chemical peels remove the outer layers of skin, including sunspots. They also improve fine lines, and leave skin smoother with very little recovery time.
- This treatment works similar to chemical peels, removing the top layers of skin to reveal new, smoother, and sunspot-free skin underneath. You’ll need a series of four treatments to achieve optimal results.
But sometimes these treatments aren’t powerful enough to erase sunspots.
Need a Little Extra Help Getting Rid of Sunspots? We’ve Got the Best Solutions
Clear + Brilliant
Clear + Brilliant is an innovative, non-invasive med spa treatment that gently reverses the early signs of aging, including sunspots! Clear + Brilliant also:
- Reduces pore size
- Gives skin a youthful glow
- Beautifies skin tone and texture
- Corrects pigmentation problems
- Erases sunspots
Clear + Brilliant works its magic by revitalizing skin from the inside out. Its non-invasive laser technology gently resurfaces the top layer of the dermis by creating millions of microscopic treatment zones in the skin. Sounds complicated, right? But it’s really just about replacing damaged skin with healthy, younger-looking tissue. The result? Smoother, softer and youthful-looking skin.
The treatment itself is simple. Each Clear + Brilliant procedure takes about thirty minutes. A topical numbing agent is applied to the face forty minutes prior to the procedure. This is removed right before treatment begins. The actual laser session lasts a quick ten minutes, and most patients experience only a warm tingling or prickling sensation with little or no discomfort. To ensure proper contact with the skin and uniform application to all treated areas, Clear + Brilliant technology uses a patented intelligent Optimal Tracking System. Directly after the Clear + Brilliant laser treatment, a cooling face mask is placed on the treated area for 10 to 15 minutes to reduce any residual sensation of heat.
Most people need little to no recovery time following a Clear + Brilliant procedure. Some people, however, may experience for the 12 hours following treatment slight redness and swelling, along with mild pain. But any discomfort following a Clear + Brilliant treatment is generally so mild that it can easily be managed with over the counter pain relief medications. To further encourage recovery, most medical professionals recommend that patients avoid exposure to direct sunlight for the two days following treatment and wear an SPF 30 or higher sunblock.
Clear + Brilliant is clinically proven to significantly reverse early signs of aging. Almost all patients who undergo Clear + Brilliant treatments report their skin looks younger and feels smoother. What’s more, their skin achieves a noticeable glow after a series of three to five Clear + Brilliant treatments. This glow owes to the fact that Clear + Brilliant significantly helps refresh skin tone and texture – indeed, many patients see a significant difference in the appearance of their skin after only one treatment. Within as little as a week, patients notice brighter, softer and more youthful skin texture. With multiple treatments age spots, fine lines and wrinkles fade and soften.
IPL Photo Facials
Fade sunspots with photo facials. IPL photo facials, which use a broad spectrum light source that penetrates multiple layers of skin, are most ideal for people who have:
- Fair, untanned skin
- Shallow acne scars or large pores
- Fine lines and wrinkles caused by aging
- Irregular pigmentation caused by sun damage, aging or medication
- Brown spots or facial redness
- Broken capillaries and spider veins
IPL photo facials work by using a broad-spectrum light source that penetrates multiple layers of skin. This type of photo facial primarily targets the lower layers of skin (dermis) while leaving the top layers of skin (epidermis) unaffected. The heat generated from the light promotes healing of the skin within, treating a number of different dermatological issues.
The treatment process itself is straightforward. Before the IPL treatment a medical professional will apply a cold gel to the target area, and you’ll be required to wear protective eyewear. The treatment, lasts around 20 minutes, during which a medical professional will gently apply the IPL hand piece to your skin so that healing light rays can be delivered to the skin’s surface using precise pulses. Most IPL procedures are virtually painless, but more sensitive people might experience mild discomfort – a feeling not unlike a rubber band being snapped against skin. Photo facials typically require little to no recovery time. Following treatment, you can return to your normal activities. More intense IPL treatments, however, may produce sunburn-like symptoms for up to two weeks after the procedure.
IPL photo facial treatments call for five treatment sessions spaced three weeks apart to obtain desired results. In some cases those results can be seen after only the first treatment! And skin continues to improve with each successive treatment.
LaserAway Can Fade Your Sunspots
Sunspots don’t frighten us.
We’re proud to offer the most medical spa service options of any national skincare provider, including sunspot removal.
We hire only the most highly trained staff experienced and certified in administering laser and other dermatological procedures. What’s more, We use only innovative techniques and cutting-edge laser technology. We aim to make your medical spa experience comfortable, enjoyable and satisfying.
Want to learn more about IPL photo facials? Clear + Brilliant? Then schedule a free, no obligation consultation today by emailing LaserAway.net or calling the staff at LaserAway at (888) 965-2737. We look forward to helping you fade sunspots.