Myth: If you’ve got oily skin, you’re stuck with it.
Life’s unfair sometimes – some of us are blessed with clear, shine-free complexions while others are plagued by oily, slick skin, resulting in a constant battle with acne and blackheads. For some people, oil glands go into overdrive and the skin takes on an oily look.
Not surprisingly, oily skin is caused by excess skin oil. During puberty, increased hormones signal the oil glands of the skin to mature. During this time, the body begins producing much more skin oil. For some people, oil glands go into overdrive and the skin takes on an oily look. This oiliness usually subsides to some degree after puberty, but can persist into adulthood, and is often seasonal, coinciding with humid weather. There is an upside, though: most experts agree that oily skin helps skin age more slowly with fewer wrinkles. The downside, though, is that oily skin can look, well, oily – as a result, people with oilier skin tend to suffer more from acne and enlarged pores.
What Causes Oily Skin?
What factors influence the amount of oil your skin produces? Let’s take a look:
- Genetics. When oil skin runs in the family, chances are that you’ll have larger sebaceous glands that produce excess oil. Any skin that’s genetically oily is more likely to include clogged pores and breakouts.
- Overuse of skincare products. In the quest for younger-looking, smoother, clearer skin, clients may over-cleanse, over-exfoliate, and scrub with too much pressure to apply too much product.
- Seasonal changes. A rise in heat and humidity during spring and summer can cause the skin’s oil production levels to increase. In contrast, when the air becomes dry in winter, skin can get dehydrated, and excess oil may occur since the skin is trying to overcompensate.
- Medications. Hormonal birth control and hormone replacement medications can cause an increase in oil production. Similarly, any medication can cause dehydration, leading to a production of excess oil when skin overcompensates for the lack of oil.
- Stress. In response to stress, the body produces more hormones, which leads to oil production.
- Unnecessary exfoliation. Scrubbing with a washcloth or using buff puffs cannot only irritate the skin but can also dry it out, causing it to overproduce oil to compensate.
- Sun tanning. Tanning is bad for reducing oil. Although it may temporarily dry out the skin, tanning can actually trigger an injury response, which causes the sebaceous glands to surge oil production in order to protect the skin’s surface.
Rest assured – there are two innovative – and non-invasive – medspa treatments that can quell your anxieties surrounding oil. These highly effective treatments can counteract the negative side effects of excess oil production, like enlarged pores and acne, resulting in smooth, soft, and refined skin. Let’s take a closer look:
IPL Photo Facials
IPL photo facials work by using a broad-spectrum light source that penetrates multiple layers of skin. This type of photo facial primarily targets the lower layers of skin (dermis) while leaving the top layers of skin (epidermis) unaffected. The heat generated from the light promotes healing of the skin within, treating a number of different dermatological issues. IPL photo facials even out skin texture, minimize enlarged pores and reduce active acne.
If you want to dramatically change your skin’s tone and texture, you must be diligent about scheduling treatment sessions. IPL photo facial treatments call for five treatment sessions spaced three weeks apart to obtain desired results. In some cases, those results can be seen after only the first treatment! And skin continues to improve with each successive treatment, so be prepared to kiss that oil slick good-bye.
Clear + Brilliant
Or you can say bye-bye to oily skin with Clear + Brilliant, which rejuvenates the skin from the inside out using a non-invasive dioxide laser. Its non-invasive laser technology gently resurfaces the top layer of the dermis by creating millions of microscopic treatment zones in the skin. Sounds complicated, right? But it’s really just about replacing damaged skin with healthy, younger-looking tissue. The result? Smoother, softer, and youthful-looking skin – and most importantly – significantly reduced pore size and less visible acne.
Almost all patients who undergo Clear + Brilliant treatments report their skin looks younger and feels smoother. What’s more, their skin achieves a noticeable glow after a series of three to five Clear + Brilliant treatments. This glow owes to the fact that Clear + Brilliant significantly helps refresh skin tone and refine skin texture by shrinking down pore size – indeed, many patients see a significant difference in the appearance of their skin after only one treatment. Within as little as a week, patients notice brighter, softer, more refined, and more youthful skin texture.
Let Us Restore Your Skin
LaserAway is proud to offer the most medical spa service options of any national skincare provider. LaserAway hires only the most highly trained staff experienced and certified in administering laser and other dermatological procedures. What’s more, LaserAway uses only innovative techniques and cutting-edge laser technology. LaserAway aims to make your medical spa experience comfortable, enjoyable and satisfying. Want to learn more about oil-cutting treatments? Then schedule a free, no-obligation consultation today by emailing LaserAway.com or calling the staff at LaserAway at (888) 965-2737. LaserAway looks forward to helping you transform your skin.